Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Warriors of the Red Planet - This Weekend!



This weekend is Diversicon, where Leigh Brackett will be one of our posthumous guests of honor along with Gene L. Coon and Sun Ra. Our living guests of honor include Dr. Ytasha Womack, author of Afrofuturism: The World of Black Sci-Fi and Fantasy Culture, and Minneapolis writer and performance artist Rob Callahan.

I'll be on the Leigh Brackett panel at the con, along with Eric Heideman and Eleanor Arnason. While I am not a Brackett scholar, I have spent the last 3-4 months reading short fiction by Leigh Brackett. By this weekend, I should have read 650 pages of her short stories.

I plan to run a pulp SF RPG scenario there called Princesses of Mars; Or, the Search for Stark. I'll be running the adventure using Warriors of the Red Planet, an old-school RPG with very easly to learn rules. I had a good experience running a Barsoom-based WOTRP scenario in April and May with my regular Thursday night game group.

All the PCs will be female characters, each with a potential connection to Stark. I'm working on some clever scene titles for the scenario, including:
  • A Game of Starks
  • Devils in the Dark
  • Mothership  
The game will run from 4-6 PM on Saturday in elevated "train station" area just past the hotel lobby. Please stop by to play the game or kibbitz a bit if you're interested in the pulp SF Mars and Venus of Leigh Brackett.


No comments:

Post a Comment